Rebecca Cairns

Rebecca Cairns is a fine arts photographer who is currently working out of Toronto, Canada. She is studying creative photography in her second and final year of college. Over the past two years, her ongoing series of self-portraits have developed into a body of work which explores the aspects of irony, movement and time; subconsciously developing into her finding and creating her own identity. Her self-portraits are haunting and desolate explorations of personal spaces and intimate environments. She uses her subject’s body positions to reflect the unique spaces that she creates through her work.


Small Interview with Rebecca
:

Can you describe the first photos you ever took? 

To be honest, I don’t really remember when this would have occured or what the exact subject matter would have been. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if they were photographs of myself – or maybe some kind of landscape. It was in high school that I first started experimenting with photography – both analog and digital – but the portraits I took were more for the sake of experimentation. 
What are you currently working on? 

I’m currently just trying to get the final fixings completed for my upcoming solo show in Toronto. Other than that, I’ve just been signed on as an artist at “Ghost Press” and will be releasing a book through this company within the next few months. As for my actual images, I’m still shooting self portraits, as I probably always will – but I am always searching for new approaches and have been trying to incorporate other people/presences into some of my most recent images. I’ve also been experimenting a lot with darkroom prints – painting, scratching and burning the images.
In your own words, describe your work. 
Infinite, endless images and patterns, flowing out through my brain… a fixation of exploring the depths of reality (or lack thereof). 
Do you like to look at the work of other young, contemporary photographers, or do you find it distracting? 

Oh no, I absolutely love doing this. Exploring the work of others is really one of the only things I like to do even more than taking my own photographs. I think it’s an absolutely crucial thing for one to do, as well- as I believe exposing oneself to the work of others will in turn help build and expand ones awareness, knowledge and creative processes. Regardless of the reaction that the work may or may not provoke within me, I truly adore following peoples’ work and watching them grow as as artists, and as people.
Which artists do you feel most influence your work? 
As for photographers, there’s Diane Arbus, Duane Michals, Cindy Sherman, Ralph Meatyard, Joel-Peter Witkin, Francesca Woodman, Sara Moon… And writers, Charles Bukowski, Mark Z. Danielewski, John Fante, Pablo Neruda… 





More Photos See
Here

Or Download Full Archive Of Her Photos Here

No comments:

Post a Comment